McAfee Stinger is a standalone utility utilized to spot and also remove specific viruses. It’& rsquo; s not a substitute for full anti-viruses security, but a specialized tool to assist managers and individuals when handling infected system. Stinger utilizes next-generation check modern technology, consisting of rootkit scanning, and also scan performance optimizations. It identifies as well as gets rid of threats identified under the “” Hazard Checklist”” option under Advanced menu alternatives in the Stinger application.
McAfee Stinger now discovers as well as removes GameOver Zeus and CryptoLocker.
How do you utilize Stinger?
- Download and install the latest version of Stinger.
- When triggered, select to save the file to a practical area on your hard drive, such as your Desktop computer folder.
- When the download is complete, navigate to the folder that contains the downloaded and install Stinger documents, as well as run it.
- The Stinger interface will be presented.
- By default, Stinger scans for running procedures, packed components, windows registry, WMI as well as directory site places understood to be made use of by malware on a machine to keep check times very little. If needed, click the “” Customize my check”” link to add additional drives/directories to your check.
- Stinger has the capability to scan targets of Rootkits, which is not allowed by default.
- Click the Check switch to start scanning the defined drives/directories.
- By default, Stinger will fix any type of contaminated documents it locates.
- Stinger leverages GTI Documents Online reputation as well as runs network heuristics at Medium degree by default. If you choose “” High”” or “” Extremely High,”” McAfee Labs suggests that you establish the “” On hazard discovery”” action to “” Record”” just for the first check.
To find out more concerning GTI File Online reputation see the complying with KB write-ups
KB 53735 – Frequently Asked Questions for Global Risk Knowledge Documents Online Reputation
KB 60224 – Exactly how to confirm that GTI Data Reputation is installed appropriately
KB 65525 – Identification of generically detected malware (Global Hazard Knowledge discoveries)
Read more stiner.exe At website Articles
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I recognize I have an infection, yet Stinger did not identify one. Why is this?
A: Stinger is not a substitute for a full anti-virus scanner. It is only created to find as well as eliminate certain dangers.
Q: Stinger discovered a virus that it couldn'’ t repair service. Why is this? A: This is most likely due to Windows System Bring back performance having a lock on the infected file. Windows/XP/Vista/ 7 individuals must disable system restore prior to scanning.
Q: Where is the scan log conserved and also how can I see them?
A: By default the log documents is saved from where Stinger.exe is run. Within Stinger, navigate to the log TAB and the logs are shown as listing with time stamp, clicking the log data name opens the documents in the HTML format.
Q: Where are the Quarantine submits saved?
A: The quarantine files are kept under C: \ Quarantine \ Stinger.
Q: What is the “” Threat List”” alternative under Advanced food selection utilized for?
A: The Danger List supplies a list of malware that Stinger is configured to spot. This list does not contain the results from running a check.
Q: Exist any command-line specifications available when running Stinger?
A: Yes, the command-line criteria are presented by going to the help food selection within Stinger.
Q: I ran Stinger and currently have a Stinger.opt file, what is that?
A: When Stinger runs it creates the Stinger.opt file that saves the existing Stinger arrangement. When you run Stinger the next time, your previous arrangement is utilized as long as the Stinger.opt documents remains in the exact same directory as Stinger.
Q: Stinger upgraded parts of VirusScan. Is this expected actions?
A: When the Rootkit scanning choice is picked within Stinger preferences –– VSCore files (mfehidk.sys & & mferkdet.sys) on a McAfee endpoint will be upgraded to 15.x. These data are mounted just if newer than what'’ s on the system as well as is required to check for today’& rsquo; s generation of newer rootkits. If the rootkit scanning alternative is impaired within Stinger –– the VSCore upgrade will not take place.
Q: Does Stinger execute rootkit scanning when deployed through ePO?
A: We’& rsquo; ve disabled rootkit scanning in the Stinger-ePO bundle to restrict the auto upgrade of VSCore elements when an admin releases Stinger to hundreds of makers. To enable rootkit scanning in ePO setting, please make use of the adhering to specifications while signing in the Stinger plan in ePO:
— reportpath=%temp%– rootkit
For in-depth directions, please describe KB 77981
Q: What variations of Windows are supported by Stinger?
A: Windows XP SP2, 2003 SP2, Vista SP1, 2008, 7, 8, 10, 2012, 2016, RS1, RS2, RS3, RS4, RS5, 19H1, 19H2. In addition, Stinger requires the equipment to have Web Explorer 8 or above.
Q: What are the demands for Stinger to perform in a Victory PE atmosphere?
A: While creating a custom Windows PE image, add assistance for HTML Application parts utilizing the guidelines offered in this walkthrough.
Q: Just how can I obtain assistance for Stinger?
A: Stinger is not a sustained application. McAfee Labs makes no assurances concerning this product.
Q: How can I add custom detections to Stinger?
A: Stinger has the choice where an individual can input upto 1000 MD5 hashes as a custom-made blacklist. Throughout a system check, if any type of files match the personalized blacklisted hashes – the documents will certainly get spotted and also deleted. This attribute is provided to aid power users who have separated a malware example(s) for which no detection is offered yet in the DAT data or GTI Documents Credibility. To take advantage of this function:
- From the Stinger user interface goto the Advanced–> > Blacklist tab.
- Input MD5 hashes to be identified either using the Get in Hash switch or click the Lots hash Checklist switch to indicate a text file having MD5 hashes to be included in the scan. SHA1, SHA 256 or various other hash types are in need of support.
- During a scan, files that match the hash will have a discovery name of Stinger!<
>. Complete dat fixing is applied on the found file.
- Files that are digitally signed making use of a legitimate certificate or those hashes which are already marked as tidy in GTI File Online reputation will not be identified as part of the customized blacklist. This is a security feature to stop users from unintentionally erasing files.
Q: How can run Stinger without the Genuine Protect element getting set up?
A: The Stinger-ePO plan does not carry out Actual Protect. In order to run Stinger without Real Protect getting set up, implement Stinger.exe